Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ministry

I usually deliver my homilies with 3 points (and usually employ techniques for easy recall...) The 3 points below is an example as I talk about ministry.

Jesus' ministry has different characteristics but I want to focus on three -- CLAIMING, "CONTINUING COMPLETION", and COMPASSION.

Jesus, first and foremost, claims us as His own -- as God's people. With Jesus, we become sons and daughters of God. With Jesus, that which unites us is emphasized even before dealing with what distinguishes us from each other. With Jesus, boundaries and borders are removed (except the border between good and evil). The question that I usually ask myself is do I claim Jesus to be my God and Savior -- in all aspects of my life...

Jesus is the completion of the expression of God's love for the created world. In His ministry, Jesus brings about wholeness to "broken realities." Jesus is the total expression of the fidelity of God to creation. The questions I ask myself are: do I participate in this continuing ministry or allow the Spirit to work in me?; and do I ever tell Jesus: "You complete me!"?

Jesus' ministry is basically a ministry of compassion -- an expression of God's great love in a manner that is responsive to the needs and signs of the times. Do I desire to experience this great compassion of God and after experiencing this love share it with others?

(...just trying to heed the call of the pope -- for priests to blog and make use of the media to proclaim the Gospel...)

No comments: